Bergfeld Realty Company


Bergfeld Realty Company was founded in 1882 when Rudolph Bergfeld started buying city lots and land in Tyler and East Texas. Bergfeld began developing the Azalea District in Tyler in the 1920s and by his death in 1930, owned commercial property in downtown Houston, Dallas and Tyler.

In the late 1940s, Julius A. Bergfeld (Rudolf's son) and his son Julius L. Bergfeld, Sr., developed Bergfeld Center, a mixed-use commercial development several miles south of downtown Tyler. Bergfeld Center was the first shopping center in East Texas and only the second in the state of Texas, behind Highland Park Village—and the same architect designed both. Writer P.J. Furse states in a Tyler Today article that "other factors have contributed to the growth of south Tyler since 1932, but none have been so inspired as Julius A. Bergfeld's dream to build Bergfeld Center, an idea born of foresight, an ingenuity that ran twenty years ahead of its time. Learn More